It’s been a little over a year since Apple released the 12-inch MacBook. In that time, the company has made some significant improvements to the MacBook line.
Of course, needless to mention, the biggest change is the new MacBook Pro, which was released in October 2016. But despite this fact, the 12-inch MacBook is still considered a viable option for those who want a lightweight and portable MacBook that won’t burn a hole in their pocket.
So, if you too want to buy a thin and lightweight laptop and consider the MacBook 12in m7 as your option, then check out this MacBook 12in m7 review.
Here you can get an idea of it because we’ll discuss several features of the MacBook 12in M7. Not only that, we’ll also cover its positives and negatives so you can see if this laptop is right for you or not!
So, what are you waiting for, let’s dive into the details—
Introducing MacBook 12in M7
For those who don’t know, MacBook 12in M7 is one of Apple’s newest laptops that is available for purchase online or at any Apple Store in both Silver and Space Gray color.
This ultra-thin notebook comes with an aluminium shell and 1.3GHz Intel Core m7 Skylake processor.
It has Intel Core m3-8100Y— the 7th generation processor, which is considered the most power efficient in its category.
It has a speed of 1.5GHz and Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz, making it an excellent option to use for basic tasks like web browsing and office work.
It features a 13.3-inch Retina display with a resolution of 2304 x 1440 pixels, which makes it perfect for any work or entertainment.
The laptop also features a Force Touch trackpad, so you can use new gestures and draw anything you like with your fingers.
Its new model also has an improved graphics chip and better battery life. Not only that, it even comes with 256GB or 512GB of PCIe-based flash storage and a 947 megabytes per second hard drive.
However, while the MacBook 12in m7 has become a popular choice among consumers who value portability and style in a laptop; many users have complained that the MacBook 12in m7 does not always provide flawless performance and considering its hefty price tag, it is not worth the buy.
Therefore, it is all the more important to read this review of the MacBook 12in M7 for clarity. That being said, let us first go through the technical specifications of the MacBook 12in M7 to give you an overall idea of this laptop—
Technical Specifications of MacBook 12in M7
|Processor||1.2GHz—1.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core M3, Turbo Boost Up to 3.0GHz, with 4MB L3 Cache.Configurable to 1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I5, Turbo Boost Up to 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 Cache; or 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I7, Turbo Boost Up to 3.6GHz, with 4MB shared L3 Cache|
1.3GHz—1.3GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I5, Turbo Boost Up To 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 CacheConfigurable to 1.4GHz Dual-Core Intel Core I7, Turbo Boost Up to 3.6GHz, with 4MB L3 Cache
|Ram||8GB Of 1866MHz LPDDR3 Onboard MemoryConfigurable to 16GB of Memory|
|Storage||1.2GHz—256GB PCIe-Based Onboard SSD11.3GHz—512GB PCIe-Based Onboard SSD1|
|Battery & Power||Up To 10 Hours of Wireless Web3Up To 12 Hours of iTunes Movie Playback3Up To 30 Days of Standby Time330W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C Power PortBuilt-In 41.4-Watt-Hour Lithium-Polymer Battery|
|Charging & Expansion||USB-C Port with Support for ChargingUSB 3.1 Gen 1 (Up to 5 Gbps)Native DisplayPort 1.2 Video OutputVGA Output using USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter (SoldSeparately)HDMI Video Output using USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter (Sold Separately)|
|Design||4 In 1 Convertible Design|
|Display||360 Degree Touchscreen Display With 2400 X 1600 Resolution|
|Size & Weight||Height— 0.14–0.52 Inch (0.35–1.31 Cm)|
Weight—2.03 Pounds (0.92 Kg)2Width— 11.04 Inches (28.05 Cm)
Depth— 7.74 Inches (19.65 Cm)
|Camera||480p FaceTime Camera|
|Audio||Dual Microphones Stereo Speakers3.5 Mm Headphone Jack|
|Keyboard & Trackpad||Full-Size Keyboard with 78 (U.S.) Or 79 (ISO) Individual LED Backlit Keys, including 12 Function Keys and 4 Arrow Keys|
Ambient Light Sensor
Force Touch Trackpad for Precise Cursor Control and Pressure-Sensing Capabilities; enables Force Clicks, Accelerators, Pressure-Sensitive Drawing, and Multi-Touch Gestures
|Wireless||Wi-Fi—802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless Networking; IEEE 802.11a/B/G/N CompatibleBluetooth—Bluetooth 4.2 Wireless Technology|
|Graphics & Video Support||Intel HD Graphics 615Dual Display and Video Mirroring: Simultaneously supports Full native resolution on the built-In Display and up to 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz on an external Display, both at millions of colors.|
MacBook 12in M7 In-Depth Review
MacBook 12in M7 Price
Now coming to the MacBook 12in M7 price, let us tell you that the price of the device will depend on where you buy it from and whether you get any discount or promotion or not! Not just that, the cost of the service plan you choose will also play a role in the overall cost of ownership.
The MacBook 12in M7 can be upgraded with various options right from the start to get more performance, which will increase its price.
However, assuming you buy your device directly from Apple, the 12in MacBook M7 has a starting price of $1,299. And, if you choose the monthly service plan, the cost can be anywhere from $14.99 to $19.99 per month.
Here, do note that, when you take these additional costs into account, the MacBook 12in’s total cost of ownership comes to between $1,313.98 and $1,358.97 over the course of two years.
MacBook 12in M7 Processor
The Intel Core M processor, which was energy-efficient and primarily designed for thin and light laptops, launched with the MacBook 12in M7. Regarding it, what is worth mentioning is that—
- The M7 processor is a dual-core chip.
- It provides fast and efficient performance.
- Compared to some other processors, it generates less heat.
- It helps to extend the battery life of MacBook as it is designed to be energy-efficient.
- The M7 processor contributes to the MacBook’s portable design for being smaller and lighter.
- It is known for its reliability and stability, and hence can be a good choice for daily usage.
However, contrary to these good points, what you may not like about the M7 processor is that it is a relatively old chip and has been replaced by newer and more powerful processors. Plus, it’s soldered into the MacBook 12-inc’s motherboard, which means it can’t be easily upgraded or replaced.
MacBook 12in M7 Battery Life
A 41.4 Wh Li-Poly battery within the gadget can power it for up to 10 hours of wireless internet usage, up to 11 hours of iTunes movie playback, and 30 days of standby time. Not only that, a 29W USB-C power supply is also included with this item.
In terms of battery life, here are the main selling points of the MacBook 12in m7 below—
- The 12-inch MacBook has great battery life that enables you to work for up to 9 hours on a single charge.
- The MacBook 12in m7 supports fast charging and due to this, the battery can be fully charged in much less time.
- The low power consumption of the M7 processor contributes to the longer battery life of the MacBook 12-inch.
- Its smaller and lighter size enables it to house a relatively smaller battery, which reduces the overall size and weight of the laptop.
In contrast to these positives, there are some negatives as well. For instance, if a 12-inch MacBook battery wears out over time or starts charging less effectively, you can’t easily replace it. Nor can the 12-inch MacBook’s battery be upgraded, making it difficult to swap out for a larger or sturdier battery. Also, because batteries have a limited lifespan and eventually degrade with use, the MacBook 12-inch battery may not be able to retain a charge as it once did.
MacBook 12in M7 Ports
Talking about ports, a USB-C port was included with the 12-inch MacBook, and it was on the opposite side of the keyboard. The port was used for charging the laptop and connecting external devices such as hard drives, printers, and monitors. By the USB-C connection, 100 watts of power output and 5 Gbps data transfer rates were supported.
Along with it, this 12-inch MacBook also has a 3.5mm headphone jack on the right side of the device, so speakers and headphones can be connected through that.
If to mention more, these are the points on one hand which shows the positive side of MacBook 12in M7 ports—
- The MacBook 12-inch’s modest and compact USB-C connector contributes to the laptop’s overall smaller size.
- The USB-C ports on the MacBook 12-inch feature reversible connectors, making it easy to plug devices in without worrying about the orientation of the connectors.
- High-speed data transfer is supported by the MacBook 12-inch’s USB-C connector, so you can stream video or transfer large files with ease.
On the other hand, what drew criticism from some users is that there were no additional ports on the 12-inch MacBook, such as an HDMI port or a standard USB port, meaning customers needed adapters or dongles to connect multiple accessories or specialized types of devices. Also, the MacBook 12-inch’s USB-C ports are incompatible with older gadgets that use alternative connectors, such as Thunderbolt 2 or USB-A. It doesn’t even have a standard DC charging port, making it impossible to charge with a normal laptop charger. And, if you frequently need to transfer images or other files to and from the SD card, the lack of an SD card reader on the MacBook 12-inch can be inconvenient.
MacBook 12in M7 Retina Display
Another noticeable feature of a MacBook is the display. While Apple’s MacBook Pro line features a glossy glass screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, or 1680 x 1050 for the 13-inch model and 1920 x 1200 for the 15-inch model; know that MacBook 12in m7 is available in four different display sizes and they are: 11-inch, 13-inch, 15-inch and 17-inch (es).
- The resolution of the 12-inch Retina display on the MacBook 12-inch was 2304 x 1440 pixels.
- The MacBook 12-inch display is known for its good colour accuracy.
- The MacBook 12-inch display has wide-viewing angles, which means the picture remains clear and crisp even when viewed from a distance.
- The MacBook 12-inch display is bright and vibrant to make it easy to see in a variety of lighting conditions.
But unfortunately, it has a limited colour gamut, which means it cannot display all the colours that the human eye can detect. In addition, it has narrower viewing angles than some other laptop displays, which can make the image appear distorted or washed out in some situations. Even the lower contrast ratio of the MacBook 12-inch display can cause some photos to appear less bright and vibrant. On top of that, the MacBook 12-inch’s glossy surface makes the screen more reflective and more difficult to see in harsh lighting.
MacBook 12in M7 Storage
Next, there were multiple storage options for the 12-inch MacBook, ranging from 256GB to 1TB. A solid-state drive (SSD) was included with the 12-inch MacBook to store data in a faster and more reliable format than traditional hard disks.
Point to Consider: SSD used flash memory to store information, which enabled it to transfer files and access them quickly. It also had no moving parts, meaning it was more durable and less prone to malfunction.
However, to be specific, the model and configuration you select will determine the exact capabilities of your MacBook 12-inch.
MacBook 12in M7 Graphics Card
The MacBook 12-inch M7 only has Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 for graphics, and compared to the Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 in the MacBook Air, it is considered a big change.
With Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 for graphics, though you can’t play some of the latest games at the highest settings, it will be able to run most titles at medium or low settings.
MacBook 12in M7 Memory
There’s no doubt that the MacBook 12in M7 is a powerful and versatile machine that can handle just about any task you throw at it. Ranging from light web browsing to speedy video editing, MacBook 12in M7 has all the power and performance one needs.
It is available with either 8GB or 16GB of memory. Although the 8GB model is enough to offer you a fast experience, it will start to feel limited if you use intensive apps or have a lot of tabs open at once.
So, if you’re planning on doing any serious work on MacBook 12in M7, it is recommended that you should opt for the 16GB model.
MacBook 12in M7 Pixel Density
Not to mention more, the MacBook 12in M7 has a pixel density of 401 PPI. This is the highest pixel density of any laptop on the market till now, and it gives the MacBook 12in M7 an incredibly sharp, crisp and clear display.
In fact, the high pixel density also makes the MacBook 12in M7’s display one of the most vibrant and colourful displays you’ll ever see on a laptop.
MacBook 12in M7 Weight
Like any laptop, weight is one of the main considerations when choosing a MacBook and the MacBook 12in M7 is no different. The weight of MacBook 12in M7 is just over 2 pounds and this makes it one of the lightest laptops. So, it won’t be wrong saying that its weight makes it easy to take with you, while its slimness means it can be easily stored.
And guess what! Despite its lightweight, the MacBook 12in M7 is still a powerful machine out there in the market.
MacBook 12in M7 Sound Quality
Not to forget the sound quality, let’s mention that the sound quality of MacBook 12in M7 is also excellent for listening to music or watching movies.
It’s crisp and clear with just the right-amount of bass. The speakers are angled towards you, so it’s easy to hear what’s happening in videos or in a video chat.
While the speakers may not be full-sized, they’re loud enough for tasks like listening to podcasts while you cook.
The MacBook 12in M7 also has four built-in microphones that can pick up sounds from up to 30 feet away. And, quite shockingly, there is no lag when using FaceTime or Skype, rather it sounds like you are talking directly into the microphone.
MacBook 12in M7 Touch Quality
Talking about the touch quality of MacBook 12in M7, let us tell you that it is excellent. Besides, the processor is more than capable of handling most tasks, and battery life is stellar. It is also worth noting that the price of this laptop is very good. Hence, the MacBook 12in M7 is the perfect choice for students or professionals who need a lightweight, yet powerful machine. So, if you’re in the market for a new MacBook, no wonder this one will be at the top of your list.
What Makes This Laptop Different from Others?
By now you have already formed an idea that how MacBook 12in M7 is different from others but still, if you are not clear, let us briefly summarize the points which makes this laptop different from others:
- It has a 12-inch screen with TFT LED backlit active-matrix retina display and 226 pixels per inch.
- The HD Graphics 5300 has been replaced in this laptop with an Intel Core m7 processor and Intel Integrated HD Graphics.
- The operating system of this laptop is Apple’s Mac OS X which comes with 30 days of standby time.
- A USB C port and a USB C power adapter are also included in this laptop’s package.
- The graphics processor is another thing that sets this laptop apart from the others, as it has been upgraded from the HD Graphics 5300 to Intel-integrated HD Graphics.
- In addition, the MacBook 12in M7 also features PCIE-based flash storage, which is much faster than standard HDD storage.
- In terms of connectivity, the MacBook 12in M7 comes with 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 technology.
- Furthermore, the IPS technology of this laptop ensures that images remain clear from all angles, delivering superior image quality.
- Also, the battery life is quite long, lasting up to 10 hours on a single charge.
- Most importantly, the MacBook 12in M7 offers more portability than the MacBook Pro due to its smaller size and lighter weight and despite its small size, this laptop packs a mighty punch.
From its impressive screen resolution and graphics processor to its portability and long battery life, the MacBook 12in M7 is overall an impressive machine that offers a host of features not found on other laptops and that’s what makes this device stand out from the crowd.
Should You Buy a MacBook 12in M7 in 2023?
You can take into consideration the following factors and then decide whether you should buy a MacBook 12in M7 in 2023 or not!
- Cost: The MacBook 12in model starts from $300 to $400. You can find this product on various reselling websites.
- Performance: Consider whether the CPU, memory, and storage capacity of the MacBook 12in m7 will be sufficient for your needs. This is because, if you plan to use the laptop for applications such as video editing and gaming, you may prefer the MacBook 12in M7 with an upgraded processor, having more storage space and RAM.
- Specification: Check its specifications as that’s what makes this laptop different from others.
|Name||MacBook 12in M7|
|Released Date||19th April 2016|
|Discontinued||June 5, 2017|
|Operating System (OS)||macOS X|
|Processor||1.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core m7, 4MB Cache|
|Graphics Card||Intel HD 615|
|Memory (RAM)||8GB or 16GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM|
|Storage||512GB PCIe SSD|
|Keyboard||Backlit Standard Keyboard and Multi-touch Trackpad|
|Display||12-inches, 2304 x 1440 pixels IPS LCD, 16:10 aspect ratio, Retina Display|
|Ports||1x USB 3.1 Gen 11x DisplayPort 1.21x VGA port1x HDMI port1x 3.5mm audio jack|
|Dimensions||Height: 0.52inWidth: 11.04inDepth: 7.74inWeight: 2.03 pounds (0.92kgs)|
|Charging||Energy Star Compliant|
|Network||Wi-Fi: 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatibleBluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology|
|Price (Renewed)||$400 – $600|
- Portability: The MacBook 12in M7 is a portable and lightweight device that’s easy to carry. So, this can be the best option for you if you want a laptop that is convenient to carry and can easily fit in a bag or backpack.
- Compatibility: Keep in mind that any existing devices, such as a printer or external hard drive, that you want to use to connect to your new laptop are incompatible with your 12-inch MacBook M7.
MacBooks have always been known for being well built and durable, even when dropped. No exception applies to the MacBook 12in m7.
It is a great laptop that offers a lot of features and power to the users. For instance, it features a 12-inch screen, a backlit Active-Matrix Retina display, Intel integrated HD graphics and an Intel Core m7 processor. It also comes with a USB C port, PCIe-based flash storage, and Wi-Fi. Other than this, its battery’s standby life of 30 days makes it perfect for everyday use. Not just all this, it has a USB-C power adapter and IPS technology to enhance viewing angles. Moreover, with a pixel density of 226 PPI, it boasts to have one of the sharpest displays in the market.
However, keeping it short, the MacBook 12in M7 offers a good balance between affordability and performance when compared to other laptops like the MacBook Pro. It feels sturdy and heavy yet thin and light for a Mac.
Over and all, with an attractive design and a hefty Price Tag, the Macbook 12in M7 is a popular option for those looking for a lightweight and powerful PC.
So, if you’re on the hunt for a thin and lightweight laptop, then the Macbook 12in M7 might be the right choice for you too!
Ques: What year is the MacBook 12in m7?
Ans: Apple in 2015, produced a line of laptop computers with a screen size of 12 inches under the name MacBook. It was available for purchase up until July of 2019 and then, it was discontinued. The MacBook 12in m7 is no longer manufactured in the US and may not be readily available at stores if you are looking to buy it.
Ques: How to check the MacBook version?
Ans: You can check your MacBook version by going to the “Apple menu” available at the corner of your screen and there, clicking on “About This Mac”.
Ques: What are the specifications of MacBook 12in M7?
Ans: The specifications of MacBook 12in M7 are given in the below-table. Have a look:
|Form Factor||MacBook Retina 12”|
|Apple Order No||BTO/CTO|
|Apple Subfamily||Early 2016|
|Apple Model Number||A1534 (EMC 2991)|
|Model ID||MacBook 9.1|
|Screen Size & Resolution|
|Screen Size||12 inches|
|Processors||1 (2 Cores)|
|System Bus Speed||OPI|
|Cache Bus Speed||1.1 GHz (Built-in)|
|Standard Storage||256 GB SSD|
|Storage Speed||845 – 947 MB/s|
|Storage Interface||Onboard (PCIe 3.0 x 2)|
|Type||41.4 W h Li-Poly|
|Battery Life||10 – 11 hours|
|Video Card||HD Graphics 515|
|Standard VRAM||1.5 GB|
|Maximum VRAM||1.5 GB|
|Level 1 Cache||32k/32k x2|
|Level 2/Level 3 Cache||256k x2, 4MB on-chip|
|Min. RAM Speed||1866 MHz|
|Standard RAM||8 GB|
|Maximum RAM||8 GB|
|Inclusive Features & Ports|
|Standard Optical Drive||None|
|USB Port (C)||1|
|Inclusive Input||Trackpad (Force Touch)|
Ques: What are the features of MacBook 12in M7?
Ans: The following are the main features of MacBook 12in M7:
- 802.11ac Standard Airport
- Bluetooth 4.2 for optimal low energy usage for quick Personal Area Network connection and transfer
- 1 USB-C port for connectivity
- 480p FaceTime webcam
- Full size backlit keyboard
- Force Touch TrackPad
- Connection with headphone and microphone with optical digital audio in/out
- Access to other display support resolution properties up to 4096×230 with VGA or HDMI adapter for single USB-C port
Ques: What color options are available for the MacBook 12in M7?
Ans: The MacBook 12in M7 is available in as many as four colors. They are: Space Grey, Gold, Rose Gold and Silver.
- Silver: It is the classic color for the MacBook which gives a perfect clean and simple look for those who want a no-fuss laptop.
- Space Grey: Darker color with a metallic finish. It is perfect for those who want a sleek and professional look.
- Gold: A warm color that goes well with the MacBook’s aluminum body.
- Rose Gold: A beautiful pink color that adds a touch of luxury to the MacBook.
Ques: Has the MacBook 12in M7 been discontinued?
Ans: Yes! Apple discontinued the 12-inch MacBook from the market in July 2019. The 12-inch MacBook was introduced in 2015 and remains in production as of 2019. It was a brand of laptops known for its compact size, lightweight build and high-resolution Retina display.
Ques: Can I edit 4k video on the MacBook 12in M7?
Ans: Maybe not because it’s possible that the MacBook 12in M7 lacks the processing power or memory needed to successfully complete these tasks as it wasn’t designed to handle demanding tasks like 4K video editing.
Ques: What makes the MacBook 12in M7 an excellent choice for anyone looking for a new laptop?
Ans: Here are some reasons that make the MacBook 12in M7 an excellent choice for anyone looking for a new laptop:
- The overall performance is fast and responsive.
- The design is sleek and modern.
- The display is bright and crisp.
- Available in several different colors.
- Battery life is excellent, you can use it for longer times without having to worry about recharging.
- Lightweight and portable, easy to carry with you on the go.
- Comes with macOS Sierra pre-installed, which includes many useful features and enhancements over previous operating system versions.
Ques: Is the MacBook 12in M7 worth buying?
Ans: The answer to this question depends on the reason you are buying the MacBook 12in M7. If you want to buy this specifically for powerful activities like gaming or video editing, then this will not be a good option for you. But, if you are looking to buy a lightweight and portable device for activities like surfing the web and reading emails, then the MacBook 12in M7 is undoubtedly worth the buy.