Snapchat Memories has become a major component of Snapchat now, but not many people know how to use this feature effectively. So, here’s everything you need to know about using Snapchat Memories. Let’s get started:
What Is “Snapchat Memories” Feature?
The Snapchat Memories feature was introduced in 2016 in response to users wanting the ability to save Snaps (taken through the app) to Snapchat’s servers.
So, it is a feature that enables users to save photos and videos for later instead of having them disappear when a specified amount of time is up.
These Snaps and Stories are saved in Snapchat under your “Memories Tab” and can be viewed, edited, sent, saved, or reposted to Snapchat Stories on your Snapchat Story.
To be precise, Snapchat Memories provides a secure & personalized album of your favourite snaps and stories that you can easily access by swiping up on the camera home screen.
How Is “Snapchat Memories” Feature Different?
Snapchat Memories is different in the sense that previously, you could download your Snaps and Stories directly to your phone, but now, with this, you can save them right within the app for even easier access.
Everything you save in Snapchat Memories is securely backed up by Snapchat using Google’s trusted “App Engine Cloud.” This means that even if you lose your phone, you’ll still be able to access your saved Snaps and Stories the next time you log into the app.
Over and all, this makes for a fun, more immersive way to share your memories with friends and family without having to scroll through an unsorted Camera Roll, while keeping your private-shots safe.
So, no surprise then, this is one of those features that every Snapchat user should know how to use and considering that, it is time to explain the same to you, have a look:
How to Use Snapchat Memories Feature to Grow and Engage Your Audience?
Snapchat turns out to be relatively new to the scene compared to other social media platforms.
“Over 185 million daily active users are opening Snapchat 20 times a day to see Snaps from friends, celebrities and brands.”
However, while other platforms may gravitate toward the idea of creating self-destructing content, Snapchat decided to move away from the feature that arguably made it so unique.
Now, just like on other platforms, Snapchat users can create content that won’t disappear and will be saved to the app’s servers so they can access and use it whenever they want!
On that note, to help you make the most of Snapchat and its marketing potential, here’s a quick guide to using “Snapchat Memories.”
How Do I Get Memories?
First things first, this feature might not already be available on your Snapchat app. So, check if there is an extra icon below the camera button in Snapchat’s main camera interface. If not, you’ll need to update the Snapchat app for iOS or Android to get “Memories.”
When this new feature is available for your account, you will receive a Snap from Team Snapchat and your Snapchat app’s main Camera interface will now have an additional icon below the Camera button.
How to See |Access | Open Memories on Snapchat?
You’ll need to just swipe up from the camera screen in Snapchat to access the Memories section of the app and within it, you can swipe right to see saved “Stories,” “Camera Roll,” “Screenshots,” and also “My Eyes Only” tabs.
Basically, Memories consists of a series of tabs that let you switch between viewing Snaps, Stories, and the contents of your Camera Roll.
How to Create Snapchat Memories?
Snapchat Memories are really easy to create. You just need to follow these simple steps:
- Step 1: To start, launch your “Snapchat app” on your respective phone.
- Step 2: Then, open up the “Snapchat camera” and “Snap a picture or record a video.”
- Step 3: After that, you can add elements like “geofilters, captions, filters, or doodles, etc.,” until your Snapchat looks just the way you want it!
- Step 4: Now, tap the “Save icon” in the lower right corner like you normally would to download the snap to your camera roll or gallery. However, instead of saving to Camera Roll or Gallery, you need to select “Memories” to save it to your Memories.
Upon doing so, a notification, “Saved to Memories”, will pop up if it was successfully stored in your Memories photo album.
How to Make Memories Private?
If you don’t want those pictures or videos to appear in your memory section when you pass your phone, you can add them to the section called My Eyes Only. To move Memories to “My Eyes Only” to make them private, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Firstly, press and hold on the “Snap” you’d like to make private.
- Step 2: Then, tap the “My Snap” option from the menu.
- Step 3: After that, tap the “Lock icon” or “Move to My Eyes Only” option.
- Step 4: Now, Snapchat will prompt you to set up a “Passcode or Passphrase.”
- Step 5: Once you’ve set this up, a new tab called “My Eyes Only” will appear within “Memories” that contains your selected Snaps for your private viewing pleasure.
Point to Consider: The first time you add Snap to My Eyes Only, you’ll be asked to create a four-digit passcode for security. You will need to enter the passcode each time you open the “My Eyes Only” folder, which can be accessed via the Memories screen. However, make sure you choose something that you can remember because Snapchat takes secrets very seriously and if you forget your passcode, those Memories will be gone for good.
How to Save All Snapchat Memories?
Now that you have created a Snapchat Memories, you want to share it, right? However, before you send a Snap to a friend or publish it to your Story, it is recommended to AUTOMATICALLY save all content to your “Camera Roll” along with “Memories.”
This is considered a good idea for brands, especially if you plan to share Snapchat content on other platforms like Instagram or Twitter.
So, if you choose to do that, here is how you can save all Snaps to Memories and to your Camera Roll:
- Step 1: Tap the “Gear icon” in the top right corner of the Snapchat app to go to your Snapchat account “Settings.”
- Step 2: Then, scroll down and tap “Memories.”
- Step 3: After that, you’ve to tap on “My Story Posts” and change the default setting from “Don’t save my Story Posts” to “Memories & Camera Roll.”
- Step 4: Now, in “Save Destinations” simply select the “Memories & Camera Roll” to save.
Now, your Snapchat memories will be automatically saved to Snapchat’s servers as well as in your camera roll.
But, if you haven’t already, each of your existing memories must be MANUALLY saved separately like this:
- Step 1: Open the “Memory” that you want to save to your camera roll.
- Step 2: Then, tap on the “More Icon” i.e., three-dots in the top right corner.
- Step 3: As you do so, a menu will appear and from it, you’ve to select the “Export Snap” option.
- Step 4: After that, simply tap on the “Download” button.
This is how you will be able to manually save all your Snapchat memories to Snapchat’s servers as well as in your camera roll. This is how you will be able to manually save all your Snapchat memories to Snapchat’s servers as well as in your camera roll.
Point to Consider: While you can save each Snapchat Memory individually to your Memories and Camera Roll, this can take a lot of your precious time.
How to Post Old Snaps and Stories from Snapchat Memories?
One of the main advantages that Snapchat Memories offers is the ability to re-share your old Snaps and Stories. So, here’s how you can post old snaps and stories from snapchat memories:
To Re-Share a Saved Snap:
- Step 1: You’ve to “Long-hold the Snap” from within Memories.
- Step 2: Then, “Edit” the same as you normally would.
- Step 3: After that, click the blue-coloured “Share” button.
- Step 4: Now, choose to either add the Snap to your “Story” or select the “Friends” you want to send it to.
To Re-Share a Saved Story:
- Step 1: You’ve to “Long-hold the Story” from within Memories.
- Step 2: Then, make any “Edits” you want.
- Step 3: After that, click “Send Story” option.
- Step 4: Now, choose where you would like the story to be sent—you also have the option of only sending individual snaps from within your stories.
How to Repost or Share Snaps and Stories from Snapchat Memories?
What’s even more notable is that Snapchat Memories allows you to share content created outside of the platform with your followers by importing photos and videos from your camera roll. So, if you want to repost a Snap or Story from Snapchat memories, you need to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Swipe up from the “Camera Screen” to see all your saved Memories.
- Step 2: Then, tap on the “Story or Snap” you want to repost to open it.
- Step 3: After that, hold your finger down on the screen to open up the “Menu.”
- Step 4: From there, you can select “Send Snap” to add it to your Story.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Memories?
If you accidentally deleted a Snapchat memory that wasn’t even saved to your camera roll, you’re still in luck. Well because your memory is likely in your Snapchat data archive. So, on that note, to recover deleted Snapchat memories from Snapchat data archive, you can follow these steps:
So, on that note, to recover deleted Snapchat memories from Snapchat data archive, you can follow these steps:
- Step 1: Within the Snapchat app, go to “Settings.”
- Step 2: Inside settings, scroll down and tap “My Data” and “Log-in” (if not already) with your account information
- Step 3: Once you’re logged in, select “Memories” and submit your “Request.”
- Step 4: After this, you should get a “Notification” that your request was received
- Step 5: Now, you’ll get an “Email from Snapchat” with a “Link to download your Snapchat Memories data.”
How Not to Use Memories Feature on Snapchat?
We understand that not everyone wants to use this feature, so before we conclude, let us tell you that if you do not want to use the Memories feature on Snapchat, here is how you can avoid using it:
- Step 1: Go to the “Memories” section in Snapchat Settings,
- Step 2: There, you have to find the “Saving” tab—this section lets you automatically save stories to Memories or set the default to My Eyes Only.
- Step 3: After that, tap on “Save To…” and select “Camera Roll Only” within the Saving tab.
Now, your Snaps and Stories won’t automatically save to Memories.
Earlier saving Snaps and Stories used to be incredibly frustrating. This has driven a lot of people and brands away from the Snapchat platform because they didn’t want to spend the time creating content that would disappear. However, that has changed with the introduction of “Snapchat Memories” and as we’ve got you covered on how you can make use of this unique feature so, what are you waiting for, go and try it!
Ques: What is Snapchat Memories Feature?
Ans: Snapchat has a new feature called Memories. This is a new way to save Snaps and Stories on Snapchat. Basically, it’s a personalized collection of your favourite moments. You can access this feature at the bottom of the camera screen and you just need to swipe up to open Memories from the camera.
Q: When was the Snapchat Memories Feature Introduced?
Ans: Snapchat Memories feature was introduced in 2016. With its launch, Snapchat moved from being a platform for self-destructing photos and videos to direct competition with Facebook. Now, with Memories, you can create a collection of all your Snaps to look back on or share again on Snapchat or other platforms.
Ques: How Is Snapchat Memories Useful?
Ans: You can use Snapchat Memories to create new Stories from the Snaps you’ve already taken, or even combine different (individual) Stories into one longer narrative! Moreover, it’s fun to celebrate an anniversary or birthday by finding some old photos in Snapchat Memories and tying them together into a new story.
Ques: What is There in the Snapchat Memories Tab?
Ans: When you open Memories within Snapchat, you’ll see a reverse chronological list of your saved Snaps and Stories. Here, all your Snaps are displayed in the form of “Rectangles” and all your Stories in the form of “Circles.” And, if you want to search for specific Snaps and Stories in Memories, there’s a search button in the top left that you’ll need to click on. The Snapchat Memories tab’s search feature will not only look for words in your captions, but also recognizable objects (like cats or hats) as well as locations (if you’ve allowed Snapchat to access your location).
Ques: Can People See My Snapchat Memories?
Ans: No. People cannot see your Snapchat Memories unless you let them. Snapchat Memories are not accessible to the public like a Facebook album. Yet if you have any doubts, you can use the Snapchat Memories “My Eyes Only” tab — it allows you to store memories in a secret album protected by a passcode of your choice.
Ques: How to Download & Save Individual Snap Before Posting?
Ans: To save an individual Snap or Story to Memories before posting, tap the “Download button” located in the lower-left corner of the screen and then, save it to “Memories” or your “Camera Roll.”
Ques: How to Save Individual Snap After Posting?
Ans: To save an individual Snap or Story to Memories after it’s posted, go to your “Profile” by tapping in the upper-left corner of the screen and then, press the “Download button” next to the My Story icon.
Ques: How to Download & Save the Entire Story to Your Memories?
Ans: In order to save the entire story to your Memories, tap the “Download button” next to the My Story icon.
Ques: How to Download & Save Individual Snap Story to Your Memories?
Ans: To save individual Snaps, tap the “My Story icon” and doing so, will display all the Snaps within that Story.
Ques: How to Automatically Save Snaps and Stories to Memories?
Ans: To set up your account to automatically save all your content to Memories.
- Step 1: Go to your Snapchat’s “Settings.”
- Step 2: Then, tap on “Memories.”
- Step 2: After that, tap on “My Story Posts”
- Step 4: Now, change the default setting from “Don’t save my Story Posts” to “Memories.”
You can also choose to save all content to your Camera Roll as well as Memories by tapping the “Save” button setting and selecting “Memories and Camera Roll.”
Ques: How to Create a New Story from Snaps within the Memories Section?
Ans: If you want to create a new story from your old snaps within the Memories section, you have to follow these steps:
- Step 1: Touch and hold an individual “Snap” within your Memories section.
- Step 2: Then, tap “My Snaps” at the top of the screen.
- Step 3: From here, tap “Create a Story from this Snap” option.
- Step 4: After that, select any “Additional Snaps” you want to include.
- Step 5: Now, you can “Save” this Snap as usual or “Send” it to friends or to the “My Story” section.
Note here that if you post a snap of a story that was taken before the last 24 hours, there will be a frame around it with the timestamp.
Ques: How to Import Snaps from Your Camera Roll or Gallery?
Ans: You can import snaps from your camera roll or gallery via following these steps:
- Step 1: Go to Snapchat’s “Settings.”
- Step 2: There, find “Memories.”
- Step 3: From the memories section, select “Import Snaps from Camera Roll.”
Now, it’ll show actual Snaps you’ve previously saved to your phone and not photos taken with the regular camera app.
Ques: What to Do If I Don’t Want to Use the Memories?
Ans: If you don’t want to use Memories then, within this section, find the “Saving” section and tap “Save To” to select “Camera Roll Only.” Now, your Snaps won’t automatically save stories to Memories.
Ques: What Are Flashback Memories?
Ans: Flashback memories are like anniversaries for your snap memories. Understand it this way—if you’ve added a Snap to Memories on December 1, 202, it will appear as a Featured Story every December 1, prompting you to share it as a Flashback. They are generated automatically, so you don’t need to do anything to get them, rather just check your memories to see if you have a flashback of that day. Note, however, that having a flashback memory means that you can (if you wish) not only “Edit” but also “Save” and “Share” it.